Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Masked PAWS - Fun New Supers RPG - Live Now On Kickstarter


When is was 16 the New Teen Titans was the hottest comic book on the rack. I never missed an issue. In February of 1982, a special free insert was included in issue number 16 of the New Teen Titans. (I was 16 and it was issue 16. Cool.) This preview was for Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew! It was a preview of a new comic book featuring anthropomorphic animal superheroes and the first issue even featured Superman.



This week I backed a Kickstarter for a new superhero RPG called: Masked PAWS. It's written and designed by David Ward, and illustrated by Lyn Redder. It's an RPG about anthropomorphic superheroes, but I know what you might be thinking and this isn't Toon!



The closest RPG that I can compare this to is BIFF! BAM! KAPOW! ... and I luuuuuuuv BIFF! BAM! KAPOW! (Read my review HERE.) The reason that I love that RPG is because of the way that it handles superhero action. I was surprised to find Masked PAWS did something similar. 

BIFF! BAM! KAPOW! is Great!

In BBK all encounters are exactly five rounds long and players are working to accumulate momentum. At the end of the five rounds if they have enough momentum then they "win" the scene. If not, then they "lose" the scene. It's clean. It's heroic. Momentum replaces hit-points completely, which I found to be inspired for a supers RPG.

Masked PAWS is Better!

Masked PAWS uses a scene clock to enclose the action and it is variable. Instead of a momentum resource there is a momentum bar which acts as a sort of pendulum in this tug of war between the Heroic Moment and the Rising Threat. Where you end on this bar tells you how to end the scene. Not just which side wins, but to what degree.

The resolution mechanic is better than that of BBK which in practice I found to be cumbersome. In Masked PAWS it's just roll a D6 and add a modifier. Boom! Done. Target numbers represent variations of success and failure like games that are Powered By the Apocalypse, but I don't find any cumbersome MOVES mechanics here (Yay!!)

Another hurdle for BBK is that it's meant to be played by a GM and either one hero or one hero and a sidekick. I like playing small groups like that sometimes, but it's a limitation. Masked PAWS is focused on team play and team moves allowing supers to add dice together to perform combo actions and it's awesome! 

You know what? Don't take my word for it. Read the Free Beta Test Quickstart yourself! (Just keep in mind that it's a beta. Masked PAWS is a work in progress.)

The Elephant In The Room (Literally!)

What if you don't want to play anthropomorphic animals? Then don't. Really. This is a real game with real working mechanisms. Just call Species, Archetype instead and record your starting skill package, and be done with it. But, I think that you would be making a mistake. 

I hate how dark and grim superheroes have become. 



If you put players in the Gotham City represented by todays media, they aren't going to try to be heroic. They are going to be fighting to survive. Lighten things up and watch your players do fun, crazy, recklessly heroic things just like superheroes are supposed to do! I think Masked PAWS might just set your players free! Also, did you see the amazing artwork by Lyn Redder?



Back The Kickstarter Now!

Please, please, please! I want Masked PAWS to fund! I want to play it!! I want to see it on my shelf and ooh and ahh over it. The Kickstarter Page is LIVE. Check it out!!

Regards,

Jeff


4 comments:

  1. Okay, Jeff: ya sold me on Masked Paws! And probably BBK(!) as well! Nice to have you back on the bloggin’ train :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: I actually have BBK (!), I just forgot that was the game’s name! And that’s crazy since I own most of Spectrum Games’ stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeff for the kind words. I did not even know about bbk... interesting how minds can think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great game Dave. I hope this funds! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete